skip to Main Content

Who Qualifies For An Insulation Grant?

See If You Qualify

Insulation grants are currently available via the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme. The government grant scheme is designed to assist low-income property owners and other householders with the expense of insulation and lowering their utility bills.
Click Here To Apply

Introduction To Insulation Grants

Two key factors concerning the grant are whether a householder is likely to be eligible for free insulation and whether the address is suitable for insulation to be installed.

Grants are now available that will cover the whole cost of different types of insulation for householders that receive income-based benefits, tax credits or disability-based benefits.

To qualify for an insulation grant, an individual must either own their property or pay rent on it to a private landlord.

Housing Association and council tenants are only eligible for assistance from the grant if they own at least 50 per cent of the property they reside in.

The insulation grants are all subject to a no-obligation survey that will be provided for free in most cases, however, in certain circumstances, householders may be requested to pay a minimal contribution depending on the energy efficiency or size of the property being insulated.

In the following sections, we’ll take an in-depth look at the insulation grant, including what areas can be insulated, what types of property are suitable and who is eligible to receive assistance.

Click Here To Apply
Insulation Grants

Understanding the Free Insulation Grant

The insulation grants are now available and intended to assist lower-income households to increase the energy efficiency of their properties, effectively lowering their home heating bills. However, not all households in England, Wales and Scotland will be able to apply as specific criteria exists that must be met in order to qualify for assistance.

Households who are entitled can apply for an insulation grant and after successfully completing the online form and a free survey, a professional insulation installer will then fit insulation within their home. The grant does not need to be repaid.

The current scheme offers a range of available grants for several different kinds of insulation and householders may even be entitled to multiple grants. These include external and internal wall, cavity wall, loft, and room in roof insulation.

Cavity Wall Insulation

Internal Wall Insulation

External Wall Insulation

Loft Insulation

Room in Roof Insulation

Cavity Wall Insulation Grants

What percentage of insulation costs will the grants cover?

Through the ECO grants scheme, leading UK utility firms like Npower and British gas are obliged to fund the improved energy efficiency of properties instead. This is to tackle fuel poverty through the UK and to stay in line with the government’s long-term goal of achieving net-zero emissions by 2050.

Homeowners that meet the specific criteria will be entitled to a grant that covers a percentage of the cost of the installation depending on the type of insulation being fitted.

Grants covering 100 per cent of costs are available for householders receiving a qualifying disability or income-related benefit or tax credit will be eligible for loft or cavity wall insulation.

Grants covering 100 per cent of insulation costs are also available for internal wall insulation and room in roof insulation for those who qualify, providing that their property is not supplied by mains gas. Where this is the case, householders may still receive a grant worth 75 per cent of the costs and must contribute 25 per cent of the insulation costs themselves.

In regard to grants for the installation of external wall insulation, householders can receive a 25 per cent grant towards the costs of any work carried out regardless of benefits or their level of income.

Fill Out Online Form

Survey Booked In

Insulation Installed

Grant Received

Will I qualify for free cavity wall insulation?

When the no-obligation survey is completed, to be eligible the property due to be insulated must be either owned privately or rented through a private landlord and be occupied. Additionally, the property must have either an electricity or gas account established in the name of the occupant.

In order to qualify for internal wall, cavity wall, room in roof or loft insulation, at least one of the individuals occupying the property must be receiving one of the following benefits that are listed below.

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Benefit*
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
  • Universal Credit

* Limits will apply regarding combined annual household income

Additional criteria demands that you own the property being insulated or rent it through a private landlord. Residents who are Council or Housing Association tenants must contact these authorities directly. An exception to this is Housing Association tenants who own at least 50 percent of the properties they live in.

Properties to be insulated must not be undergoing renovations or be vacant. As well as being occupied the property’s walls requiring installation must represent at least 60 percent of the total property size. As a rule, extensions to homes will not typically qualify for a cavity wall insulation grant.

If a householder is receiving at least one of these listed benefits, apart from child benefit, they will qualify for grants regardless of any household income and means-testing will not be necessary for grant applications.

Households applying with child benefits as their qualifying characteristic must ensure their total income after tax does not surpass the limits listed below in order to receive an insulation grant. Whether a householder is a single person or part of a couple and how many children they have will impact income limits.

  • Single person with one child – £18,500
  • Single person with two children – £23,000
  • Single person with three children – £27,500
  • Single person with four or more children – £32,000
  • Couple with one child – £25,500
  • Couple with two children – £30,000
  • Couple with three children – £34,500
  • Couple with four or more children – £39,000
Loof And Roof Insulation Grants

Loft Insulation Grants

Under the ECO scheme, one hundred per cent free loft insulation can be fitted within a property, although all applications will be subjected to no-obligation technical survey and other qualifying criteria to determine eligibility.

Loft insulation grants involve rolls of insulation material unfurled on the loft’s floor. Providing householders have an accessible loft that has no more than 100mm of existing insulation in place then they should be eligible for a grant that enables them to have insulation adding up to 270mm put in position.

Wall Insulation

Internal Wall Insulation Grants

Internal wall Insulation is commonly installed in properties with solid walls or homes that are System Built. These types of walls have no cavities that can have insulation installed in them. After receiving grant approval, internal wall insulation involves built-for-purpose insulation boards being affixed to walls or in some cases a frame is constructed from timber with insulation placed within.

External Wall Insulation

External Wall Insulation Grants

The grant for external wall insulation involves an insulating layer being fixed to the exterior surface of a home’s walls. The insulating material is then efficiently covered with a specific kind of cladding or render. Final surfaces may be smooth finished, painted, textured, tiled, pebble-dashed, or panelled.

Loft Insulation

Room in Roof Insulation Grants

Property owners can claim for a room in roof insulation grant if their home was originally constructed with rooms inside the roof or a loft or attic space has been converted. These roof rooms are almost impossible to heat efficiently and keep warm without adequate insulation. Providing there is little to no insulation already in place and a fixed staircase is present, and not simply a pull-down-style ladder to the loft level, properties should qualify.

Cavity Wall Insulation Grants

Cavity Wall Insulation Grants

If a householder’s property has cavity walls, they can apply for a cavity wall insulation grant. Brick-built properties that were constructed between the years 1924 and 1982 will typically have cavity walls. Homes built before 1924 tended to have solid brick walls most constructed since 1982 usually already benefit from insulation. However, properties without insulation built after 1924 and before 2005 can still receive assistance from the grant.

Cavity wall insulation is among the most commonly obtained form of insulation via the ECO grant scheme due to how expensive it can be to install under normal circumstances. However due to the cost involved it can be attractive to energy suppliers seeking to reach their targets more swiftly, which can make acquiring cavity wall insulation grants an easier process than funding for other types of home insulation.

Along with houses, apartments can also receive cavity wall insulation grants, however, permission must first be obtained from those living in all adjacent properties that share the walls where work must be carried out. If there are any damp problems within properties, this must be dealt with before any insulation installation can be attempted.

If a property is stone, metal-clad or timber-framed, it will typically be unsuitable for a cavity wall insulation installation. Any issues that make installation impossible or a problem will be raised during the no-obligation survey which takes place before any insulation work begins.

Households that don’t qualify

Finally, if your property or status means you aren’t entitled to a grant, you can still arrange a free survey to assess the costs and benefits of installing insulation and a grant of 25 per cent is always available towards external wall insulation.

  • Your privately owned or rented property was constructed before 1924 or since 2005.
  • The walls of your home already have cavity wall insulation in place.
  • You are living in an apartment and do not have permission from your neighbours either below or above.
  • There are noticeable signs of damp issues either outside or inside on the walls of your home.
  • The property where you live is made of concrete, stone or has a steel or timber framework.
  • Your property’s ventilation is insufficient, and a vent is unable to be installed.

Apply For Your Free Insulation Grant

Following your successful application, we will arrange a free, no obligation survey to ensure the maximum grant is obtained and advise you on the best products to reduce your homes energy usage.

Back To Top